[linux-elitists] Ethicc v. Pragmatics (was: Why haven't you switched to MacOS X yet?)

Marc MERLIN marc@merlins.org
Sat Jan 18 09:34:04 PST 2003

On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 10:52:09AM -0800, Don Marti wrote:
> I see MontaVista aggressively contributing, and advocating for, their
> code in upstream projects, which strikes me as a good thing, above
> and beyond their duty to give customers the source upon request.
> What loophole are they exploiting?

>From what I was told by a friend who works on embedded linux that MV
knowingly ships code for which they keep promising the source, but
never provided it.

I don't have specific details myself, but this fact is apparently well
known in the community of embeeded developers.

Marc