[linux-elitists] LOCAL Stanford University: face down the DMCA enforcers

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Fri Jan 17 18:45:49 PST 2003

on Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 05:08:47PM -0800, Don Marti (dmarti@zgp.org) wrote:
> Richard Stallman just passed this along to me.  I won't be around,
> since I'll be in New York for LinuxWorld, but someone else might
> want to organize a group of freedom-loving people to go and hand
> out some anti-DMCA flyers, ask good questions, and so on.
>
> "How can you enforce laws that ban Academic Freedom in computer
> science and then walk into a university and ask for help?"
>
> Remember, protests and demonstrations are GOOD FOR YOUR HEALTH.

Note that the CSL Colloquia are a great opportunity to meet with all
sorts of folks on all aspects of technology.  The faculty, particularly
John Wharton, are very aware that they offer an opening for the public,
and the range of viewpoints presented is large (Lessig spoke at the CSL
a year ago).

Target the _speakers_ and _philosophy_, not the program itself.

That said -- go forth and make a joyous noise ;-)

> http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/nm/20021223/hl_nm/protests_demonstrations_dc
>

>               COMPUTER SYSTEMS LABORATORY COLLOQUIUM
>                  4:15PM, Wednesday, Jan 22, 2003
>        NEC Auditorium, Gates Computer Science Building B03
>                    http://ee380.stanford.edu[1]
>
> Topic:    Solving High Technology Crime
>           Academic Partnership in Crime Fighting
>
> Speaker:  Gregory S. Crabb
>           United States Postal Inspector
>           San Francisco Electronic Crimes Task Force
>
> Other participants include:
> Robert Rodriguez, Assistant Special Agent in Charge, United
> States Secret Service
> Richard Perlotto, Cisco Systems
> Chris Lalone, Network Security, eBay
> Mike Miravalle, CEO, Dolphin Technologies
> Fred Demma, Dolphon Technologyies

<...>