[linux-elitists] fun with xsel

Michael Bacarella mbac@netgraft.com
Fri Jan 17 16:23:42 PST 2003

> So how many times has this happened to you?  You're logged into
> a remote server reading mail in Mutt and there's an attached file
> you want to take a look at.

Too many times.   One thing that has enhanced my life is
installing antiword and excel2text on the remote server
and configuring mutt to invoke it when needed.

Added to .muttrc:

auto_view application/excel application/ms-Excel
auto_view application/msexcel application/vnd.ms-excel
auto_view application/x-excel application/x-msexcel
auto_view application/msword

Added to /etc/mailcap:

application/excel;              excel2text %s; copiousoutput
application/ms-Excel;           excel2text %s; copiousoutput
application/msexcel;            excel2text %s; copiousoutput
application/vnd.ms-excel;       excel2text %s; copiousoutput
application/x-excel;            excel2text %s; copiousoutput
application/x-msexcel;          excel2text %s; copiousoutput
application/msword;             antiword %s; copiousoutput

I get to deal with MS Word documents as plaintext, including
the ability to quote it in replies.  The only time I have to
resort to OpenOffice is if someone sends me a huge 20 column
spreadsheet.

When dealing with other content (notably images), I usually
just save it to ~/public_html/ and steer a web browser over
to my home directory.

--
Michael Bacarella  | Netgraft Corp
                   | 545 Eighth Ave #401
 Systems Analysis  | New York, NY 10018
Technical Support  | 212 946-1038 | 646 641-8662
 Managed Services  | http://netgraft.com/