[linux-elitists] Ethicc v. Pragmatics (was: Why haven't you switched to MacOS X yet?)

Alan DuBoff aland@SoftOrchestra.com
Thu Jan 16 10:35:53 PST 2003

On Thursday 16 January 2003 05:26, Shawn McMahon wrote:
> That in itself isn't necessarily a bad thing.  Selling a Debian CD is
> "trying to charge for software they can get for free."

The way I've heard it explained to me was not as if they were trying to sell
a Debian CD, rather removing the distribution of the tools so the sales
people could force the customers to buy support, then they would give them
the tools. Which is fine also, a value add you might say.

The person who told me this left because he said there was various things
going on that were not up to the open source code of ethics, and he went to
TiVo after that.

Don says they're agressively contributing back to open source, I take his
word for it. They certainly have contributed some, I don't deny that. As a
user of open source I somehow feel betrayed that they want to charge me
$1500/year to get their tools, because after all they are GNU and they are
open source.

This mindset is going to force embedded developers to roll their own and just
create their own embedded systems, and it's happening already. Look at Sony
and Matsushita, and they're investors in MontaVista. Why would they go to
such length to do that, they could just use MontaVista after all.

--

Alan DuBoff
Software Orchestration, Inc.