[linux-elitists] Ethicc v. Pragmatics (was: Why haven't you switched to MacOS X yet?)

Alan DuBoff aland@SoftOrchestra.com
Thu Jan 16 00:38:14 PST 2003

On Wednesday 15 January 2003 11:46, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> As I said, a 2003/2004 handheld is likely to have a 300 MHz CPU, ~96MB
> memory, and a couple GiB flash disk.

It's not bad but don't forget that most embedded processors don't have a FPU
so are crippled for some of the intensive processing. They're getting better.

We keep hearing that it's hot, but where is it all? Many of the Embedded
Linux companies are been having a tough time, Lineo was going down the toilet
until Metrowerks picked them up, the few that didn't get laid off...

> And it's a phone, etc.

Yeah, I want a PDA/phone also, but can't they pack a camera in there also?<g>
It's getting close and a lot of Japanese phones have cameras on them now.

> Actually, I've already started hearing of people who travel with a
> Knoppix disk and USB flash stick as their computing environment:  any
> computer is home.

Knoppix kicks, doesn't it? The form factor is not as good as the BBC, but
having the software that it provides is certainly worth it.

I wish I would have had either the BBC or Knoppix today, got stuck out with a
machine that I couldn't boot...finally after digging through my laptop bag I
pulled up a Debian install CD that might bring back some memories for people
who were at VA..."Slink and a Half". Saved by butt and I was able to boot,
mount the drives and get the info I needed to partially resolve the problem.
I have a Knoppix CD and the BBC in my bag now!<wink> Call me paranoid!<g>

--

Alan DuBoff
Software Orchestration, Inc.