[linux-elitists] Ethicc v. Pragmatics (was: Why haven't you switched to MacOS X yet?)

Alan DuBoff aland@SoftOrchestra.com
Thu Jan 16 00:26:47 PST 2003

On Wednesday 15 January 2003 10:52, Don Marti wrote:
> I see MontaVista aggressively contributing, and advocating for, their
> code in upstream projects, which strikes me as a good thing, above
> and beyond their duty to give customers the source upon request.
> What loophole are they exploiting?

Aside from their kernel patches, that many realtime programmers don't care
for and have said they can lock the machine, what are they agressively
contributing?

I find it bothersome that they won't talk to people who don't appear to have
their wallets open. The removal of their tools for public consumption is one
sign, but I've heard from insiders that their mentality has always been
towards trying to charge for software they can get for free.

Also the inability to offer the proper documentation to build their tools,
even if you do get the SRPMS, it's not easy to get the source out to build,
and the quote from some of the MV employees to me was "we consider that to be
our special mojo".

MV is not as bad as some of the others, but IMO they still want to have a leg
up on the competition and continue to hold things back for that.

--

Alan DuBoff
Software Orchestration, Inc.