[linux-elitists] Ethicc v. Pragmatics (was: Why haven't you switched to MacOS X yet?)

Nick Moffitt nick@zork.net
Wed Jan 15 15:08:11 PST 2003

begin  Joakim Ziegler  quotation:
> If you need higher speed, Firewire (and presumably also the new
> 800Mbps version) is small enough to be used on the iPod, at least.
> And it has the same characteristics as USB when it comes to
> connecting lots of stuff on one connector. Also, interestingly, the
> iPod uses the firewire port for charging, too (connected to a
> laptop, or to a small power adapter that has firewire out). I'm not
> sure if USB can push enough power to do that, I've not seen it done
> before with USB, at least.

	So how does firewire compare to (say) SCSI-II?  Does it have
the same sort of disconnected use features, or is it really just a
super fast bus with intelligent set-up and tear-down?