[linux-elitists] Ethicc v. Pragmatics (was: Why haven't you switched to MacOS X yet?)

Joakim Ziegler joakim@avmaria.com
Wed Jan 15 14:34:26 PST 2003

On Wed, 2003-01-15 at 16:46, Greg KH wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 02:06:40PM -0800, Nick Moffitt wrote:

> > 	But this would also be the case with something like eCos or
> > whatever.  Joakim was asking a technical question rather than a
> > strategic one.  What makes the Linux kernel so much more desirable
> > than the *other free kernels* out there?

> eCos looks to work well in smaller processors, ones that Linux would be
> too big in.  It also isn't as mature, and I don't think has many device
> drivers that a lot of people rely on in Linux.  But I've never used
> eCos, so I don't know it's benifits vs. weaknesses in compared with
> Linux.

> What are any other free kernels out there that would compare with Linux?

Well, eCos was the primary one that sprang to mind. I seem to remember
another free embedded/handheld OS some time ago, but I might be
hallucinating. Anyone else know?

Of course, if Linux is in the running, the BSDs should be too,
specifically NetBSD, since it runs on pretty much any architecture under
the sun. And, of course, you'd think some companies would prefer it
because they can proprietarize it... But as far as I know, noone's even
announced the intention of trying to use it.

--
   The Private Joakim Ziegler - Not Speaking For Anyone But Myself
    joakim@avmaria.com - http://www.avmaria.com - rdgzt@Undernet