[linux-elitists] Ethicc v. Pragmatics (was: Why haven't you switched to MacOS X yet?)

Joakim Ziegler joakim@avmaria.com
Wed Jan 15 14:26:00 PST 2003

On Wed, 2003-01-15 at 14:51, Greg KH wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 08:35:45PM +0000, Karsten M. Self wrote:

> > With limited port space on *any* handheld, some connector with the
> > ability to receive multiple devices is more or less mandetory.  A single
> > USB port can replace keyboard, mouse, printer, and network ports.
> > Frankly, the video-out problem would seem significant.

> You know, it's no fun having to explain a joke
> 	grep -A2 "USB SUBSYSTEM" /usr/src/linux-2.4/MAINTAINERS

> Yes, USB should work well for all of that.  No video isn't going over
> USB any time soon (even for USB 2.0, unless we start to see some very
> good silicon controllers soon, the current 2.0 ones aren't getting
> anywhere near the expected throughput.)

> And I like that idea of using a CDROM and a USB flash drive, that's a
> good idea.

If you need higher speed, Firewire (and presumably also the new 800Mbps
version) is small enough to be used on the iPod, at least. And it has
the same characteristics as USB when it comes to connecting lots of
stuff on one connector. Also, interestingly, the iPod uses the firewire
port for charging, too (connected to a laptop, or to a small power
adapter that has firewire out). I'm not sure if USB can push enough
power to do that, I've not seen it done before with USB, at least.

--
   The Private Joakim Ziegler - Not Speaking For Anyone But Myself
    joakim@avmaria.com - http://www.avmaria.com - rdgzt@Undernet