[linux-elitists] Ethicc v. Pragmatics (was: Why haven't you switched to MacOS X yet?)

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Wed Jan 15 14:46:13 PST 2003

On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 02:06:40PM -0800, Nick Moffitt wrote:
> begin  Greg KH  quotation:
> > Also no royalties on every unit shipped is a very big motivation.
> > Embedded companies usually regard initial software development as
> > "free" because over the long run of a product, it's just noise.
> > It's the "per unit cost" that is the driving factor of everything.
> > Well that, and time to market.  Linux helps out in both.
>
> 	But this would also be the case with something like eCos or
> whatever.  Joakim was asking a technical question rather than a
> strategic one.  What makes the Linux kernel so much more desirable
> than the *other free kernels* out there?

eCos looks to work well in smaller processors, ones that Linux would be
too big in.  It also isn't as mature, and I don't think has many device
drivers that a lot of people rely on in Linux.  But I've never used
eCos, so I don't know it's benifits vs. weaknesses in compared with
Linux.

What are any other free kernels out there that would compare with Linux?

greg k-h