[linux-elitists] Congress upholds copyright extension

Nick Moffitt nick@zork.net
Wed Jan 15 14:20:47 PST 2003

begin  Karsten M. Self  quotation:
> > When the US paid more royalties out than in, our government's
> > position on copyright was different -- before 1891, US publishers
> > paid no royalties to foreign copyright holders at all.
>
> On that basis, and with full irony intended, does the future of the
> free printing press lie with China?

	At LISA '99 or '00 (I forget which), I heard one of the
FreeS/Wan developers kvetching about not being able to contribute code
to the project (by virtue of being a US citizen).  He was allowed to
advise and review, but to get that done in a legally watertight manner
he had to "travel to free countries, like the PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF
CHINA."

	I have noticed that MUNI has warnings up about how it is
illegal for a minor to carry a pen on board busses and trains if it
has a tip wider than a certain size.  I've often been tempted to buy a
bunch of sharpies and put labels on them that say: "CIVIL
DISOBEDIENCE: the pen is mightier than a knife?" or somesuch thing.
Maybe a URL to a site urging more honest minors to carry writing
implements on transit.

--
"...nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or
property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its