[linux-elitists] Congress upholds copyright extension

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Wed Jan 15 13:06:28 PST 2003

begin Karsten M. Self quotation of Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 08:33:08PM +0000:

> And "delicate balance" my ass.  The CTEA harmonizes US law with an
> external authority to which the public has no recourse at all.

US trade reps treat copyright maximalism as a pro-US position,
because other countries pay more royalties to US copyright holders
than we pay to them.  The more they can get treaties weighted in
favor of the copyright holder, the more money comes into the US,
and the better they're doing their job, the way they measure it.
Impact on the economy other than money flowing over the border
isn't their job.

When the US paid more royalties out than in, our government's
position on copyright was different -- before 1891, US publishers
paid no royalties to foreign copyright holders at all.

Don Marti                  Even if we don't get DMCA reform, loudly
http://zgp.org/~dmarti     demanding DMCA reform is going to get the
dmarti@zgp.org             injustice of the DMCA in front of the next
KG6INA                     jury.  Make noise.  It counts.