[linux-elitists] Congress upholds copyright extension

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Wed Jan 15 13:03:32 PST 2003

on Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 03:43:53PM -0500, Shawn McMahon (smcmahon@eiv.com) wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 08:33:08PM +0000, Karsten M. Self said:
> >
> > So the Supreme Court of the United States can invent a new power of
> > overriding the Constitutional role of Congress to elect a president in
> > the event of failure of the normal electoral process (which had not in
> > fact played out), but *abdicates* its duty of providing a check on
> > Congress?
>
> God, are we gonna drag that one out again?
>
> You do know that when the Press and the Democrats held not one but TWO
> subsequent recounts, Bush still won both, right?  Let's get over that
> and move on, please.

Please read with comprehension and think for a minimum of two seconds,
Shawn.

It's not the outcome, but the process, that I'm commenting on.

The mandated process is for an election via the electoral college, and
barring that, a vote by the House of Representitives.  The EC role
hadn't completed, and the SCOTUS involvement was Outside its
constitutional role, on very thin justifications, and very disturbing
precedent.

I have no doubt that the outcome would have been the same had the HoR
voted.  However, process and precedent would have been far better
served.

Peace.