[linux-elitists] Ethicc v. Pragmatics (was: Why haven't you switched to MacOS X yet?)

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Wed Jan 15 12:51:36 PST 2003

On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 08:35:45PM +0000, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 11:52:46AM -0800, Greg KH (greg@kroah.com) wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 07:46:43PM +0000, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > > The biggest problem is likley squeezing the ports onto the thing --
> > > USB will probably help here.
> >
> > We are surely doomed if USB is the answer...
>
> With limited port space on *any* handheld, some connector with the
> ability to receive multiple devices is more or less mandetory.  A single
> USB port can replace keyboard, mouse, printer, and network ports.
> Frankly, the video-out problem would seem significant.

You know, it's no fun having to explain a joke
	grep -A2 "USB SUBSYSTEM" /usr/src/linux-2.4/MAINTAINERS

Yes, USB should work well for all of that.  No video isn't going over
USB any time soon (even for USB 2.0, unless we start to see some very
good silicon controllers soon, the current 2.0 ones aren't getting
anywhere near the expected throughput.)

And I like that idea of using a CDROM and a USB flash drive, that's a
good idea.

greg k-h