[linux-elitists] Ethicc v. Pragmatics (was: Why haven't you switched to MacOS X yet?)

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Wed Jan 15 11:46:43 PST 2003

on Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 09:45:23AM -0800, Alan DuBoff (aland@SoftOrchestra.com) wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 January 2003 02:36, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > on Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 11:24:34PM -0800, Alan DuBoff
> (aland@SoftOrchestra.com) wrote:
> > >
> > > ???? The Zaurus has been considered a flop for the most part, they had
> > > to give most of the units away that are deployed, and the actual sales
> > > have been small from what I've heard.
> >
> > Quite possible.  There was also the Agenda, which AFAIK disappeared
> > before it ever hit market, though I saw a few prototypes.
>
> I would think the Agenda was more successful, since they seemed to be
> priced better and were selling. The Zaurus was certainly a nicer unit,
> and the software was much nicer also, but I've heard that real world
> acceptance was low, and most units were sold at trade shows at reduced
> pricing, placing it as a leader item to stir up development. Few were
> sold at the $500 price, and think about it, you can get a desktop
> computer for that much $$$s nowdays.  Sure you can't carry it in your
> pocket, but the price point does not fit in todays market very well.
> It's a real shame, because the Zaurus is one of the better units, it
> has the features you would want (keyboard, CF, smart media), and you
> could develop for it without spending a lot of $$$s...it's probably
> one of the better pieces of hardware in that sector.

Which gets back to answering why I think GNU/Linux may be the winner.

As I said, a 2003/2004 handheld is likely to have a 300 MHz CPU, ~96MB
memory, and a couple GiB flash disk.  That's a respectable basic desktop
configuration.  Which gets us to my ideal PDA / portable computing
environment.

What I want is something roughly like the Cappuccino:  an eminantly
portable central unit with CPU, memory, storage, and ports, that I can
scribble on.  When I get someplace real, it accepts a keyboard, monitor,
and network connection, and serves either as the principle computer or
state (user configuration, data).  And it's a phone, etc.

Actually, I've already started hearing of people who travel with a
Knoppix disk and USB flash stick as their computing environment:  any
computer is home.

GNU/Linux fits this space as being able to handle both ends of the
spectrum.  The biggest problem is likley squeezing the ports onto the
thing -- USB will probably help here.

Peace.