[linux-elitists] Ethicc v. Pragmatics (was: Why haven't you switched to MacOS X yet?)

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Wed Jan 15 10:04:45 PST 2003

On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 11:32:51AM -0600, Joakim Ziegler wrote:

> I've never quite understood why people want to use the Linux kernel,
> which seems to me to be very geared to normal sized computers, for
> handhelds, myself. What are the advantages, exactly? There are hardly
> any hardware drivers you can reuse, the processor architecture is
> completely different, etc.

Free TCP/IP stack is one of the biggest motivations (and all the
goodness that that brings along like web servers, nfs, remote boot,
etc.).  And Linux has been ported to a lot of different processor
architectures already (like the whole embedded PPC and 68X series).

Also no royalties on every unit shipped is a very big motivation.
Embedded companies usually regard initial software development as "free"
because over the long run of a product, it's just noise.  It's the "per
unit cost" that is the driving factor of everything.  Well that, and
time to market.  Linux helps out in both.

thanks,

greg k-h
(who spent many years in the embedded world)