[linux-elitists] Ethicc v. Pragmatics (was: Why haven't you switched to MacOS X yet?)

Joakim Ziegler joakim@avmaria.com
Wed Jan 15 09:32:51 PST 2003

On Wed, 2003-01-15 at 11:45, Alan DuBoff wrote:

> > The market and pircepoints are likely going to dictate that nothing but
> > GNU/Linux or Symbian make it in the long run.

> I hate to think that GNU/Linux would dictate on it's pricing, but would
> rather hope to see it dictate on it's quality. I don't know too much about
> Symbian, but GNU/Linux faces some issues to be accepted in that space.

I've never quite understood why people want to use the Linux kernel,
which seems to me to be very geared to normal sized computers, for
handhelds, myself. What are the advantages, exactly? There are hardly
any hardware drivers you can reuse, the processor architecture is
completely different, etc.

Sure, having the same API for applications to use makes it easy to port
stuff. But aren't there better and more efficient kernels that can do
the same job, and are free? Like eCos, for instance?

Note that I'm not really into this stuff, so I might be missing
important points. It'd be nice to be corrected on this, really.

--
   The Private Joakim Ziegler - Not Speaking For Anyone But Myself
    joakim@avmaria.com - http://www.avmaria.com - rdgzt@Undernet