[linux-elitists] devfs and new module-init-tools

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Wed Jan 15 09:39:26 PST 2003

On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 12:18:03PM -0500, Jim Bray wrote:
> (my responses to comments on this thread):
>
> > From: Greg KH <greg@kroah.com>
>
> > Adam Richter has posted a devfs replacement to lkml that looks
> > promising, and fixes up most (if not all) of the implementation problems.
> > But the real problem with devfs, is that it imposes a naming policy that
> > is embedded within the kernel.  I'm working on replacing devfs with a
> > small userspace program that will provide all of the same functionality,
> > as well as allow any naming policy that you could ever want.  The
> > combination of sysfs and /sbin/hotplug allows this to be done.
>
>   Good. If you are going to have any variables, like devfs does, please
> also allow them to be set and tested. If current devfs had that, it would
> provide a way to work around the problem at hand.

What kind of variables?  And what would you need them for?
The whole function of this replacement would be to manage /dev, not
handle module loading and other crud.  That's what the /sbin/hotplug
generic interface is for right now (it can handle loading the proper PCI
driver for your soundcard just fine.)

thanks,

greg k-h