[linux-elitists] Ethicc v. Pragmatics (was: Why haven't you switched to MacOS X yet?)

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Tue Jan 14 19:29:12 PST 2003

on Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 10:08:41AM -0500, Shawn McMahon (smcmahon@eiv.com) wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 12:51:22AM +0000, Karsten M. Self said:
> >
> >     Microsoft in the small to mid-sized server space.  Similarly the
> >     overwhelming success of GNU/Linux over all comers in the
> >     embedded/handheld space, largely based on costs, capabilities, and
> >     flexibility.
>
> You lost me there.  Is Linux really seeing overwhelming success over all
> comers in the handheld space?

Speaking of which, sniped from the SVLUG list:

    From: John McDonnell <johnmc@johnmc.org>
    Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 14:42:06 -0800 (PST)
    To: "Silicon Valley Linux Users' Group" <svlug@lists.svlug.org>
    Subject: Re: [svlug] Linux enters the new device market

    It would appear that on Tue, 14 Jan 2003, Don Marti did say:

    > I thought Sony was using MontaVista's distribution:

    Sony and Matsushita, the parent company of Panasonic, are working to
    gether on creating a distribution for use in consumer electronices.

    It was on /. in mid December

    The Sony press release is here:
    http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/200212/02-1218bE/index.html

    Montavista's efforts are separate, as detailed in this Yahoo! News story:
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=1093&ncid=738&e=10&u=/pcworld/2
    0030108/tc_pcworld/108562

    Basically, Sony and Panasonic have no real desire to sell the distro, but
    will use it in house.

Peace.