[linux-elitists] We should thank SCO

Larry M. Augustin lma@lmaugustin.com
Tue Jan 14 19:17:19 PST 2003

Quoting Rick Moen on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 11:36 AM
>[...]
> Certainly, you have a good point that firms with an interest in Linux
> can and should cooperate on these matters.  In the case of specifically
> SCO, nobody seems to yet know the nature and merits of their claims,
> since they haven't said anything specific, yet.

I think that the result will be positive in that this will be the catalyst
that inspires the firms to work together to come up with a solution.

I seem to recall someone suggesting some potential structures that
accomplished the goal.  For example, companies with an interest could donate
patents to a defensive Open Source patent pool.  Also, there was some talk
about funding a group to comb open source for patentable technology, and
using that to help create a defensive open source patent pool.

Perhaps someone on this list can come up with a potential solution?

Larry