[linux-elitists] Ethics v. Pragmatics (was: Why haven't you switched to MacOS X yet?)

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Tue Jan 14 14:00:11 PST 2003

Quoting Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com):

> And the crux of my essay (lost in the verbage) is this:  there's no
> dividing the two on effects.  Free software is good because it's free,
> and it's free because it's good.  And that is what makes it long-term
> tenable, and why I use it.
>
> I was hoping to see more discussion of _that_ concept, rather than a
> furthering of "he said" "no I didn't".

Fair enough.  I'll see if I can contribute to that.

> Rick's hewing to the truth and proper forms of debate is, however,
> appreciated.

To paraphrase Ruskin, the man who pulls weeds is, also, helping build
civilisation.  ;->

But I honestly think people spend entirely too much time debating
whether things that effect their lives are "good", and too much time
debating what motives others (allegedly) have.  Neither has a whole lot
to do with real-world phenomena -- and that time is better spent dealing
with analysing what _is_, and how best to deal with it.

--
Cheers,                                     SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM!
Rick Moen                                   SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM!