[linux-elitists] Ethics v. Pragmatics (was: Why haven't you switched to MacOS X yet?)

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Tue Jan 14 13:51:04 PST 2003

on Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 06:11:34PM -0800, Rick Moen (rick@linuxmafia.com) wrote:
> Quoting Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com):
>
> > On the Ethics v. Pragmatic debate, I tend to come down slightly on
> > Rick's side of the debate:
>
> I stated no such view.  More on that, below.

My intent was to use the dichotomy presented by Rick and Evan as a foil,
and not as the main theme of the essay.

Please interpret that statement as "the view presented by Rick", rather
than "the view held by Rick".

And the crux of my essay (lost in the verbage) is this:  there's no
dividing the two on effects.  Free software is good because it's free,
and it's free because it's good.  And that is what makes it long-term
tenable, and why I use it.

I was hoping to see more discussion of _that_ concept, rather than a
furthering of "he said" "no I didn't".

Rick's hewing to the truth and proper forms of debate is, however,
appreciated.

Peace.

   The Consumer Broadband and Digital Television Promotion Act:
     Feinstein's answer to Enron envy.
       http://www.politechbot.com/docs/cbdtpa/hollings.s2048.032102.html