[linux-elitists] Ethicc v. Pragmatics (was: Why haven't you switched to MacOS X yet?)

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Tue Jan 14 13:45:13 PST 2003

on Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 10:08:41AM -0500, Shawn McMahon (smcmahon@eiv.com) wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 12:51:22AM +0000, Karsten M. Self said:
> >
> >     Microsoft in the small to mid-sized server space.  Similarly the
> >     overwhelming success of GNU/Linux over all comers in the
> >     embedded/handheld space, largely based on costs, capabilities, and
> >     flexibility.
>
> You lost me there.  Is Linux really seeing overwhelming success over all
> comers in the handheld space?

I'm not restricting this to handhelds, but the embedded / small system
space in general.

In handhelds, the current options are GNU/Linux, PalmOS, Symbian, and
WinCE.  GNU/Linux is holding its own, as a late entrant.  I predict the
ultimate leaders here will be GNU/Linux and Symbian.

I'm basing the statement more on reports and second-hand information
than direct knowledge.  However, there are some very clear successes:
the Zaurus, iPaq, and TiVo come to mind.

Peace.