[linux-elitists] We should thank SCO

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Tue Jan 14 11:36:23 PST 2003

Quoting Larry M. Augustin (lma@lmaugustin.com):

> SCO is doing a good thing.  They are forcing us to deal with the patent
> issue in Open Source now, before Microsoft decides to come after us.

Deal with in the sense of acknowledge, that I can see.  However, the
defences and remedies against patent claims are already well enough
known, I would think:

1.  Pay up.
2.  Switch algorithms.
3.  Contest.
4.  Dicker using one's own patent portfolio.

Certainly, you have a good point that firms with an interest in Linux
can and should cooperate on these matters.  In the case of specifically
SCO, nobody seems to yet know the nature and merits of their claims,
since they haven't said anything specific, yet.

--
Cheers,                                      "My file system's got no nodes!"
Rick Moen                                    "How does it shell?"