[linux-elitists] Reading about the SCO stupidity on Slashdot..

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Mon Jan 13 18:48:08 PST 2003

Excuse me for interrupting the conspiracy frenzy, but didn't the SCO
software patents go to Tarentella?

6,362,836 Universal application server for providing applications
on a variety of client devices in a client/server network

6,104,392 Method of displaying an application on a variety of client
devices in a client/server network

I asked Ransom Love about this when Caldera bought SCO, and he said
he didn't think he had even acquired any patents.

And they didn't bother to tell the SEC about any patents...

"While much of the code for our products is open source, our success
depends significantly on our ability to protect our trademarks,
trade secrets and certain proprietary technology contained in our
products. We rely on a combination of copyright and trademark laws,
and on trade secrets and confidentiality provisions and other
contractual provisions to protect our proprietary rights. These
measures afford only limited protection. Some trademarks that have
been registered in the United States have been licensed to us,
and we have other trademark applications pending in the United
States. Effective trademark protection may not be available in
every country in which we offer our products and services. Our
means of protecting our proprietary rights in the United States
or abroad may not be adequate, and competitors may independently
develop similar technologies."

http://ir.sco.com/EdgarDetail.cfm?CompanyID=CALD&CIK=1102542&FID=912057-02-1965&SID=02-00

Of course, you don't need to cite a patent number to bluster about
"intellectual property" -- just to be taken seriously.

Nice timing, a week before LinuxWorld, though.  That's booth 865,
right behind SuSE, folks.

--
Don Marti                  Even if we don't get DMCA reform, loudly
http://zgp.org/~dmarti     demanding DMCA reform is going to get the