[linux-elitists] Why haven't you switched to MacOS X yet?

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Sat Jan 11 15:48:45 PST 2003

on Sat, Jan 11, 2003 at 10:32:46PM +0100, Eugen Leitl (eugen@leitl.org) wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Mister Bad wrote:
>
> > The answer is really simple: OS/X is not Free. There are several free
> > and usable alternatives.
>
> Now that I've carved out my free iBook from my boss' side: what's the best
> Leenucks to run on a G3/700 iBook (20 GBytes HD)? And how large should I
> make my Linux partition? Is 2 GBytes enough? (I assume I can mount the OS
> X partition from it, right?).

I can't answer for the first.

How much space largely depends on what you plan to do with it.  Note
that a bare minimal Debian install requires ~125 MiB or so (a base
system image can fit in < 40 MiB).  A kitchen sink SuSE install is
rumored to require ~8 GiB.  I find 2 GiB a bit spare for a good
workstation install of Debian, and am currently running on a 4 GiB
system (fallback) with pretty decent results.

Rick may have some cautionary suggestions for mixing GNU/Linux and OS X
use of common partitions owing to peculiarities of OS X's (mis)use of
the filesystem and resultant fragility which may result.  I've witnessed
several such discussions, can't say I've firsthand knowledge.

Peace.