Do Ethics Matter? (Re: [linux-elitists] Why haven't you switched to MacOS X yet?)

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Sat Jan 11 13:08:55 PST 2003

Quoting Mister Bad (mr.bad@pigdog.org):

> Well, I'll say right now: I don't think the moralism is gratuitous.
> It's patently ridiculous to write morals out of the equation entirely.

You've just changed the subject.

Gratuitous (adj.):  needless, unnecessary, uncalled-for

Nobody SAID "write morals out of the equation completely".  What I said
was that it's erroneous (not to mention rude) to assume -- let alone
announce -- that the only thing that could drive someone to differ from
one's position is a lack of ethics.  Moreover, it's equally erroneous to
assume that the only reason someone could share your views is possession
of ethics.

Surely none of that was so difficult to follow?

> Something important in public debate dies when the idea of an ethical
> response to a situation is considered illogical and distasteful.

You have just changed the subject again.  NOBODY SAID THAT.  Put down
that crack pipe, and pay attention, now:

Nobody said your tedious ethics lecture was "illogical and distasteful"
(though your current exercise in massively missing the point does
qualify).  What was _said_ was that a preference for open-source
software where feasible may well be founded in other grounds entirely.

Again, that should not be a difficult concept to grasp.

--
Cheers,                          "The only good goth is a shoggoth...."
Rick Moen                           -- Alistair J.R. Young, in r.a.sf.w.r-j