[linux-elitists] 2.5 kernels and modutils

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Sat Jan 11 10:08:15 PST 2003

On Sat, Jan 11, 2003 at 12:57:52PM -0500, Andrew wrote:
> > Adam Richter has posted a devfs replacement to lkml that looks
> > promising, and fixes up most (if not all) of the implementation problems.
> > But the real problem with devfs, is that it imposes a naming policy that
> > is embedded within the kernel.  I'm working on replacing devfs with a
> > small userspace program that will provide all of the same functionality,
> > as well as allow any naming policy that you could ever want.  The
> > combination of sysfs and /sbin/hotplug allows this to be done.
>
> That sounds like the tiny devfs replacement I read about on kerneltrap.  I was
> going to take a closer look at that when I had more time.

Yes, Adam's is the one mentioned on kerneltrap.  But functionally, it
should work the same as existing devfs.  The project I'm talking about
is still vaporware, but you can see it's start in the sysfs tree and
/sbin/hotplug right now.  We need a bit more info in sysfs and then we
can start working on the userspace portion.

thanks,

greg k-h