[linux-elitists] 2.5 kernels and modutils

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Sat Jan 11 09:45:16 PST 2003

On Sat, Jan 11, 2003 at 12:33:40PM -0500, Jim Bray wrote:
> This creates an interesting situation with devfsd, which has a
> modules.devfs which it passes to modprobe.

Hm, how to put this nicely...

The current implementation of devfs sucks rocks.  The idea is nice
though.  I know gentoo uses it, and I consider that a big problem, and
is why I stopped using gentoo on one of my laptops.

Adam Richter has posted a devfs replacement to lkml that looks
promising, and fixes up most (if not all) of the implementation problems.
But the real problem with devfs, is that it imposes a naming policy that
is embedded within the kernel.  I'm working on replacing devfs with a
small userspace program that will provide all of the same functionality,
as well as allow any naming policy that you could ever want.  The
combination of sysfs and /sbin/hotplug allows this to be done.

So in short, don't lament the fact that devfsd doesn't work so well in
2.5, you shouldn't be using it in the first place :)

thanks,

greg k-h