[linux-elitists] Worse-Is-Better vs. GNU Hurd

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Fri Jan 10 15:34:41 PST 2003

<quote who="Nick Moffitt">

> About the only thing more tedious than the argument about giving credit to
> GNU is the folks who think said argument is a big funny joke.

I don't grok why they go for the credit argument. It almost guarantees that
someone *will* turn around and say, jokingly or not, "eh, aren't you going
to call it Linux/HURD?"

But in technical terms, it makes point-blank perfect sense: We build upon
the platform of Linux and glibc. Everyone go rush to look at what platform
your binaries are built for... i686-pc-linux-gnu. This is a great reason for
platform distributors to say "GNU/Linux".

- Jeff

--
     "I think a lot of the basis of the open source movement comes from
                procrastinating students." - Andrew Tridgell