[linux-elitists] Worse-Is-Better vs. GNU Hurd

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Fri Jan 10 13:38:20 PST 2003

On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 05:31:28PM -0500, Modus Operandi wrote:

>     But back to my question about GNU Hurd: are there really no
>     device drivers at all, or is it just a lagging area of
>     development? They must at least have simple devices like
>     /dev/null and /dev/zero, but not drivers for every scanner
>     and CD burner out there (but neither does Linux!) But if
>     there are no device drivers, how do you even get a tty?

Yes, I think there are some of the "simple" devices in there, and I can
find a basic PS/2 keyboard driver.  But I can not find any device
drivers in all of the Hurd and Gnu-Mach code.  I see references to a
"OSKit" that looks like it provides some "general" functions that
drivers can use, but I don't see any specific drivers in the CVS trees
anywhere.

Anyone else have an idea?

greg k-h