[linux-elitists] Worse-Is-Better vs. GNU Hurd

Modus Operandi modus@as220.org
Fri Jan 10 14:31:28 PST 2003

Modus Operandi <modus@as220.org> looked into the void, and said:

>   Sometimes, "Worse-is-Better" is better, as Richard Gabriel
>   said ... he was talking about the difference between MIT-style
>   quick-and-dirty code and academic Common LISP development, but
>   the analogy extends to the difference between pie-in-the-sky
>   GNU Hurd development and New-Jersey-style Linux development.

    Oops, I misspoke:

    "MIT-style" == "Common LISP" == "The Right Thing"
    "New Jersey" == "UNIX / C" == "Worse-Is-Better"

    http://www.jwz.org/doc/worse-is-better.html

    Of course, the GNU Hurd is "MIT-style."

    But back to my question about GNU Hurd: are there really no
    device drivers at all, or is it just a lagging area of
    development? They must at least have simple devices like
    /dev/null and /dev/zero, but not drivers for every scanner
    and CD burner out there (but neither does Linux!) But if
    there are no device drivers, how do you even get a tty?

--
| Random  Oedipus | "No one can do to the Disney Corporation what |