[linux-elitists] Why haven't you switched to MacOS X yet?

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Fri Jan 10 11:06:04 PST 2003

Quoting Mister Bad (mr.bad@pigdog.org):

> People who have them call 'em "ethics". People who don't call it
> "dogma."

Er, Evan, I hope you don't mind my saying this, but I get a little antsy
when people immediately resort to gratuitous moralism in these debates:
I see no reason to attribute lack of ethics to those who (mistakenly)
label as "dogma" any preference for open-source.  It's purblind and
rude, yes; but hardly unethical.

Furthermore, a preference for open source, where feasible, need not be
rooted in "ethics" at all.  Many people see it as a perfectly rational
pragmatic response to decades of seeing one's IT agenda jerked around by
third-party proprietary software publishers, resulting in uncontrolled
business risk.

I'm sure there are various other reasons, as well.  But it honestly
should suffice to point out that calling it "dogma" is just genteel
name-calling from someone who found that putdown to be easier than
thinking.

--
Cheers,                                      "My file system's got no nodes!"
Rick Moen                                    "How does it shell?"