[linux-elitists] sql-ledger rocks on Linux!

Alan DuBoff aland@SoftOrchestra.com
Fri Jan 10 08:46:26 PST 2003

On Friday 10 January 2003 00:34, Rick Moen wrote:
> Very cool, about SQL-Ledger.

It's worth a look for people stuck without that solution. It would be nice if
it could import QuickBook backups (qbb files). I haven't been using
QuickBooks for more than a year so it's not a big deal for me.

> If anyone ever (e.g., in similar circumstances) needs a general guide to
> PostgreSQL, here's one:
> http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/lecture-notes/postgresql

Thanks for mentioning this! I can probably find some good tips in there. BTW,
my problem wasn't really a problem in setting up IDENT for postgres, but
rather diagnosing teh problem and understanding what needed to be done. I
kept receiving an IDENT error in the browser when tring to create a dataset
for a user, and went through the cycle of droping the user and creating a new
one to make certain it wasn't a password problem on the database user. It was
telling me it couldn't authenticate. Yes, it couldn't authenticate is correct
but it wasn't because of the password but because it couldn't connect with a
socket on the host.

I'm still not totally clear how the relationship works between pg_hba.conf
and pg_ident.conf and was able to solve it in pg_hba.conf for the specific
host.

--

Alan DuBoff
Software Orchestration, Inc.