[linux-elitists] Harmful things according to google.

Alan DuBoff aland@SoftOrchestra.com
Fri Jan 10 08:36:38 PST 2003

On Friday 10 January 2003 07:12, Jan Wender wrote:
> See page 292 and reference [13]: Clark, R. Lawrence. "A linguistic
> contribution to GOTO-less programming," Datamation 19, 12 (December 1973),
> 62-63.

What I find over the years is that like most everything else, goto is abused.
There are certain cases where a goto works best, and it's hard to dispute
that. As an example, (W.) Richard Stevens used goto statements in some of his
socket routines, and I would challenge someone to come up with a better
solution to the problem at hand in less machine cycles. It just can't be done.

OTOH, when goto is abused, it can be ugly, and often it can present more of a
maintenance nightmare than improper usage since programming is really a
matter of taste and preference as there is almost always more than one way to
code something.

--

Alan DuBoff
Software Orchestration, Inc.