[linux-elitists] Why haven't you switched to MacOS X yet?

Alan DuBoff aland@SoftOrchestra.com
Thu Jan 9 18:56:02 PST 2003

On Thursday 09 January 2003 18:46, Aaron Lehmann wrote:
> I was able to play switched.mov without any win32 codecs.
> Selected video codec: [ffsvq1] vfm:ffmpeg (FFmpeg Sorenson Video v1)

BTW, this brings up an interesting topic.

When I worked on Kerbango, I shared an office for about 6 months with one of
the original authors of Quicktime. He mentioned to me that Sorenson had
signed a contract with ms that would only allow them to port Quicktime to Mac
or ms-dos platforms.

This should be illegal now that the DOJ ruled that ms has to practice fair
business practices. I wonder how the Linux community could go about getting
the changed, providing that is still the primary reason that we don't see
Quicktime on our platform yet? I suspect this still holds true.

--

Alan DuBoff
Software Orchestration, Inc.