[linux-elitists] Why haven't you switched to MacOS X yet?

James Morris jmorris@intercode.com.au
Thu Jan 9 17:20:14 PST 2003

On Thu, 9 Jan 2003, Andy Bastien wrote:

> You can't buy a new Mac without an OS.  It's a different situation
> from the PC world, because there the hardware and OS manufacturers are
> two different entities and the one who makes the hardware must pay the
> OS manufacturer for a license for each system that is sold with the OS
> (assuming the OS is not free) which cost is then passed on the the
> final buyer.  In Apple's case, they make both the hardware and the OS,
> the cost of the OS development is supported by their total hardware
> sales, and they don't need to pay any licensing fees, so there is no
> added cost for the OS.

I wonder what the case is though for Apple resellers.  In this country at
least, preventing a reseller from selling the hardware with a different
(or no) OS might run afoul of restraint of trade laws.  Not being a
lawyer, I really don't know, but this is the case for franchise chains,
according to a franchise chain owner (in the food business) I was talking
to once.  Essentially, they have to be very careful not to do anything
which even looks like locking the franchise operators into purchasing
goods from them.

- James
--
James Morris