[linux-elitists] Suspend to disk on thinkpads

Marc MERLIN marc@merlins.org
Thu Jan 9 09:00:43 PST 2003

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 04:42:15AM +0200, Bulent Murtezaoglu wrote:
> My IBM a30p can suspend and resume w/o problems mostly.  I sometimes
> get screen flicker on resume, but switching VT's fixes it.  This cycle
> happens maybe 3 times a day, didn't hurt uptime yet.  Now hibernate to
> disk is another story, dunno how to do that yet or if it is possible
> at all.  You mention 4hr battery life in the part I deleted.  That, I

IBM very unfortunately removed suspend to disk ability in the bios, all
it does is send an ACPI event that tells the OS to suspend to disk

W2K does it in software, linux has a swsuspend patch which is very slow
(3+ minutes to suspend with 256MB on my laptop), and doesn't work well.

I miss the old laptops that just did swsuspend in the bios

Marc