[linux-elitists] Why haven't you switched to MacOS X yet?

Andy Bastien lists+linux-elitists@yuggoth.net
Thu Jan 9 08:05:45 PST 2003

We have reason to believe that on Thu Jan 09 Larry M. Augustin wrote:
> From: "Larry M. Augustin" <lma@lmaugustin.com>
> To: "'Andrew'" <akohlsmith-le@benshaw.com>, <linux-elitists@zgp.org>
> Subject: RE: [linux-elitists] Why haven't you switched to MacOS X yet?
> Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 07:27:14 -0800
>
> > > Try sendmail.
> >
> > <tongue-in-cheek>
> > I don't use that crap.  I run qmail on my mail servers.
> > </tongue in cheek>
> >
> > However, qmail isn't running on my notebook.  Every time I boot it I
> > remind
> > myself to find out why it's hanging there, and then I always find
> > something
> > more important to do.  :-)
>
> OK.  I've seen that hang happen a lot w/ sendmail doing a DNS lookup on
> startup, and waiting for the lookup to time out.  Does it still hang if you
> have a network connection at boot time?

Sendmail needs to be able to resolve it's FQDN, and if networking is
up before sendmail starts and your hostname is in DNS, then it won't
hang.  You can also put an entry in your hosts file with the FQDN
first and the hostname second.  That probably won't work if you're
using DHCP (although you could create an ethertap interface and have
sendmail listen on that).

I'd recommend exim for a laptop anyway, but that's a whole other war
of religion.