[linux-elitists] Why haven't you switched to MacOS X yet?

Andy Bastien lists+linux-elitists@yuggoth.net
Thu Jan 9 07:24:13 PST 2003

We have reason to believe that on Thu Jan 09 James Morris wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, Eugen Leitl wrote:
>
> > I agree. The hardware is still very okay for the price, and it _is_ a
> > Unix.
>
> Yeah, they have some nice hardware.  I've been thinking about buying one
> of the ibooks as a Linux box, but don't want to buy MacOS.  Anyone know if
> this is possible, or if the situation is similar to Windows refunds?

You can't buy a new Mac without an OS.  It's a different situation
from the PC world, because there the hardware and OS manufacturers are
two different entities and the one who makes the hardware must pay the
OS manufacturer for a license for each system that is sold with the OS
(assuming the OS is not free) which cost is then passed on the the
final buyer.  In Apple's case, they make both the hardware and the OS,
the cost of the OS development is supported by their total hardware
sales, and they don't need to pay any licensing fees, so there is no
added cost for the OS.