[linux-elitists] Why haven't you switched to MacOS X yet?

Andy Bastien lists+linux-elitists@yuggoth.net
Thu Jan 9 06:31:27 PST 2003

We have reason to believe that on Thu Jan 09 Modus Operandi wrote:

> Andy Bastien <lists+linux-elitists@yuggoth.net> looked into the void, and said:
>
> > HFS+ can be journalled, and is faster than UFS.  Hardly anyone
> > actually uses UFS on OSX (it's the case sensitivity that screws up old
> > MacOS apps, unlike those old versions of Quark for Linux which run
> > just great on the new Linux filesystems).
>
>   Are you trolling? QuarkXPress has never been available for
>   Linux (one of the few things that sends me crawling back to
>   Macs on occasion.) Perhaps you are thinking of Corel Draw.

I was.  In my incredibly subtle manner I was pointing out that one
reason that Linux doesn't have problems with old commerical packages
is that it doesn't any (or, not many at least).  It will eventually,
and in a few years people will be complaining about not being able to
use the super-duper new database-driven filesystem with Oracle 8 and
so you should be using FreeBSD instead.