[linux-elitists] Why haven't you switched to MacOS X yet?

Joakim Ziegler joakim@avmaria.com
Wed Jan 8 21:20:42 PST 2003

On Wed, 2003-01-08 at 21:04, Rich Bodo wrote:
> We talked about aqua at the last consultant's luncheon.  OSX has some
> appeal to me, even though I almost never use a GUI.  When I do, tho, I
> make heavy use of virtual desktops.  Each desktop is a bunch of
> related stuff I'm working on.  How do you get by without them on OSX?
> I didn' see an equivalent when I explored it.

There are third-party apps that do it. My friend with the TiBook tested
two of them, since he has used Linus a bit before, and has seen how
heavily I use virtual desktops, but he dropped it because they were very
slow, for some reason. That is, the actual switching of desktops was
fast enough, but all windows had to redraw themselves, and for some
reason this was horribly slow (at least a second, maybe two), which made
it useless for what he wanted it for (mail on one desktop, browser on
another, office apps on a third).

But that might have been the utilities he chose to test. I don't see any
reason why it couldn't be done snappily. Then again, there's no reason
why it shouldn't be possible to do on Windows either, and there, the
utils that do it are notoriously buggy (leaving tool palettes on
different desktops, or outside of the desktop where you can't get to
them no matter how hard you try, was pretty common in LiteStep, for
instance).

--
Joakim Ziegler <joakim@avmaria.com>
A/V Maria