[linux-elitists] Why haven't you switched to MacOS X yet?

Bulent Murtezaoglu bm@acm.org
Wed Jan 8 18:42:15 PST 2003

[...]
    AB> The interface is certainly slower that Linux on any given
    AB> hardware, but that's mostly because it's doing a lot more than
    AB> Linux.  Let's not forget how incredibly ugly Linux is by
    AB> comparison (KDE3 included).  [...]

I wonder why all this prettiness is necessary sometimes.  I thought
Twm was enough for me under SunOS, then I discovered tvtwm (or
whatever it was called, the one with virtual desktops) and I was all
set.  I now use sawfish [I think] for no other reason than thinking
maybe I'd like to do some super duper customization using lisp/rep
(customize what is another question).  Do you folks actually use any
of that Gnome or KDE stuff?  Is there anything to be gained by firing
up a gazillion processes, running a bar and getting decorated xterms
that eat up screen real estate?  I can see how drag and drop can be
handy sometimes.  What else?  Hmm, does anyone know how to kill/fold
those huge icon bars in gtk apps?

[...]
    AB> From what I've seen with Linux, you can count yourself lucky
    AB> if you can suspend a laptop and bring it back up.

My IBM a30p can suspend and resume w/o problems mostly.  I sometimes
get screen flicker on resume, but switching VT's fixes it.  This cycle
happens maybe 3 times a day, didn't hurt uptime yet.  Now hibernate to
disk is another story, dunno how to do that yet or if it is possible
at all.  You mention 4hr battery life in the part I deleted.  That, I
don't have.

cheers,

BM