[linux-elitists] Why haven't you switched to MacOS X yet?

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Wed Jan 8 17:57:16 PST 2003

begin Andy Bastien quotation of Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 01:15:15AM +0000:

> But I think Apple honestly does appreciate the value of open source,
> that they have contributed much more than they would need to just
> present a veneer of supporting open source, and have enough of a
> commitment now that it would be very difficult for them to stop their
> support.

The decision to go with a KHTML-based browser is a huge help for
web standards and fans of web standards.  It puts a big chunk of
the burden of complaining about non-standard web sites onto the Mac
users, and should motivate more webmasters to validate rather than
just testing in MSIE.

Next year, the office suite?

> Oh, did I
> mention the battery in real life usage lasts 3 - 5 hours?  And did I
> also mention that I can just close the lid and the laptop goes to
> sleep, and when I open it i can start working immediately from where I
> left off?

Anyone got battery life numbers for a recent Apple laptop under Linux?

> From what I've seen with Linux, you can count yourself
> lucky if you can suspend a laptop and bring it back up.

APM support has improved a lot since 2.2 and early 2.4; this ThinkPad
570 goes through daily sleep/wake cycles or more and I rarely reboot.
Of course, now that APM for Linux is working pretty well, all the
new laptops are ACPI.  Mac OS does have the advantage that developers
don't have to play catchup with uncooperative hardware vendors.

> It's perfectly valid to not like OSX because it isn't free.

I don't like Mac OS X because it isn't free.  But I'd feel
slightly better about paying Apple than Microsoft for an unwanted
proprietary OS if I knew that more of the money would go to support
free software.

--
Don Marti                  Even if we don't get DMCA reform, loudly
http://zgp.org/~dmarti     demanding DMCA reform is going to get the