[linux-elitists] (forw) DVD Jon innocent

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Wed Jan 8 13:56:39 PST 2003

on Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 01:42:11PM -0500, Aaron Sherman (ajs@ajs.com) wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-01-07 at 20:57, Karsten M. Self wrote:
>
> > I caught this on the BBC's World this afternoon.  The news announcer
> > mis-read CSS as a copy-protection scheme, when in fact it is a
> > playback-prevention scheme.
> >
> > Reducation requested.  The World's email address is theworld@pri.org.
>
> CSS is neither; it's an encryption technology for DVD-media. Period.

Technology is applied science or knowledge.  The commercial purpose of
this application are largely pointed at region coding.  CSS owes its
commercial existence to its use as a playback prevention technology.

Peace.