[linux-elitists] Why haven't you switched to MacOS X yet?

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Wed Jan 8 13:51:31 PST 2003

On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, Michael Bacarella wrote:

> "After all, it's got all of the benefits of Linux, plus a standardized
> UI and better applications support!"

I'm actually going to switch to an OS X iBook for most of my stuff on the
road (=public transport/bed/standing desk) very soon. Given that the basic
$999+512 MBytes+IEEE 802.11b iBook machine only has 20 GBytes, there is
clearly not much space for a Linux partition (is 2 GByte for Yellowdog
sufficient?). Tethered mode is NFS mounts/IEEE 1394 storage, of course.

It's a cost issue. Plus, now that there's native X11 to go along with Fink
most of the tarballs will build out of the box.

> I'm getting really sick of that question, and it's becoming more common.
>
> How do you answer it? My answer:
>
> It's a closed source system with open source components. The utility of
> Linux is in the community that cooperated to develop it. There is no such
> developer community on MacOS X.  It is proprietary software that picked

Yes, but you can still treat finked+X11'd OS X to be vanilla Unix for most
purposes. Yeah, I know it comes from Isengard; but it's at least not from
Mordor.

> and choosed open source components because even Apple wasn't stupid enough
> to try to spend the thousands of man years duplicating what they could
> get for free today. Them keeping it open source is a convenient marketing
> tool to appeal to geeks, the company has no real interest in open source.

I agree. The hardware is still very okay for the price, and it _is_ a
Unix.