[linux-elitists] IM servers for Linux

Mister Bad mr.bad@pigdog.org
Wed Jan 8 10:28:11 PST 2003

    DS> Using XML in and of itself was a hugely smart move.  How many
    DS> projects get started that create difficult-to-extend protocols?

    JM> Jabber may have changed since I last looked deeply at it, but
    JM> when I did, they had written their own parser for a reason.
    JM> They weren't parsing XML, but something XML-like.

No, it's real XML. The reason there are a number of bottom-up XML
parsers for Jabber is that at the time many XML parsers couldn't
handle parsing a continuous stream of data.

    JM> XML is not the right tool for the job, which they correctly
    JM> saw.

Why not? An open protocol with multi-language support and a method for
namespacing extension data? It seems just right.

~Mr. Bad