[linux-elitists] Re: Outlook corrupts (Larry M. Augustin)

D. Joe Anderson deejoe@raccoon.com
Wed Jan 8 06:30:35 PST 2003

On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 07:22:25PM -0500, Michael Bacarella wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 03:55:00PM -0800, Ben Woodard wrote:
> > On Mon, 2003-01-06 at 07:07, Michael Bacarella wrote:
> > > Honestly, there are times when travelling that I thank $DEITY_OR_UNDEF
> > > when we find a McDonalds.  Not because I particularly care
> > > for their food, but because I know exactly what to expect
> > > from it when I'm in some small town in the middle of nowhere
> > > and the alternatives are "JIM'S! THE CADILLAC OF DINERS!"
> > > and the bar/strip club with sawdust on the floors.
> >
> > Do you realize what you are saying here? You prefer "sameness" and a
> > lack of surprises to honest to goodness real experience. Sure going into
> > any unfamiliar place is to one extent or another a crap shoot. It may be
>
> [...]
>
> > You get none of this when you go into McDonalds.
>
> I prefer playing it safe when I have 8 hours of road ahead of me.

Yet another fine application of the "principle of least surprise".

Gamers aside, rare is the person who turns to software for an
adventure experience, least of all those using it as a productivity
tool.  They'll pick the devil they know just about every time.

--Joe