[linux-elitists] (forw) DVD Jon innocent

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Tue Jan 7 17:57:08 PST 2003

on Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 02:24:07AM -0800, Rick Moen (rick@linuxmafia.com) wrote:
> Crazy Norwegians come through!  Some quotations:
>
>      The court ruled there was "no evidence" that either Johansen or
>      others had used the decryption code (called DeCSS) for illegal purposes.
>
> and
>
>     The court determined that it is not illegal to use the DeCSS code to
>     watch DVD films obtained by legal means.

I caught this on the BBC's World this afternoon.  The news announcer
mis-read CSS as a copy-protection scheme, when in fact it is a
playback-prevention scheme.

Reducation requested.  The World's email address is theworld@pri.org.

Peace.