[linux-elitists] IM servers for Linux

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Tue Jan 7 15:36:07 PST 2003

Quoting Mister Bad (mr.bad@pigdog.org):

> What's the kludge, there? Jabber uses principled extensions based on
> XML Namespaces.

I have no problem with XML-wrapped syntax.

My point was that encryption/authentication were not designed in, and
therefore had to be tacked on.  Further, there's vast amounts of
plaintext consequent information leakage on/around the servers, not to
mention zero provision for host authentication.

> It's a smart way to deal with a world of changing requirements.

If the requirement for end-to-end strong crypto wasn't anticipated
during Jabber design, I can only ask:  What _were_ they thinking?  It's
not like it was a 1975 project.

> Most other IM systems (Gale is an exception, there) have no encryption
> whatsoever. So, hey, y'know, it's a start.
>
> I think you're being a little harsh.

I didn't say the design was bad relative to most of the competition  I
just said it should have been a lot better.

--
Cheers,               "That article and its poster have been cancelled."
Rick Moen                   -- David B. O'Donnel, sysadmin for America Online